What is NEACEFE?
NEACEFE (New England Association for Cooperative Education and Field Experience) is an association which promotes the development and expansion of experiential education programs within New England high schools, colleges, and universities and the employers of their students. The Association has several basic goals:
- Promote experiential education as an integral part of the education process.
- Serve as a forum for the exchange of ideas and information related to experiential education between educators and employers.
- Serve as a source of information to legislators and governmental agencies on the benefits of experiential education.
- Design and offer professional development workshops and training to enhance the professional growth of our members.
- Collaborate with other professional associations that have mutual interests.
In the fall of 1976, a group of co-op directors and employers in New England recognized the need for a regional approach to foster the development and the expansion of cooperative education and field experience education programs. Their goal was to help experiential programs flourish in New England, and establish an organization where members could exchange ideas and share their unique experiences in the field.
Since that time, our membership has diversified to reflect the changing world of education and careers, incorporating all aspects of experiential eduction: co-op education, internships, field experience, community service, and career related job programs. Educational members come from high schools and two-/four-year, public/private, colleges/universities throughout the New England region, and other states. Employer members represent large and small corporate, governmental, and non-profit agencies.